12/04/2013

kite-flying

Lately, I've been going to Chichester University to study. As many people are aware, I'm serially allergic to 'revision' so, under the guise of studying, I spend my time looking at uni boys, bumming cheap cups of coffee and sitting on these ergonomic chairs that are worth the whole train journey and trek to the campus library. 

I go to the Bognor Regis campus as they recently put in a new library (so clean!) and I've never seen them check for student IDs. It comforts me that while I read / make notes - or rather, listen to music and eat chocolate - the dread that sets in when I realise that my final exams are properly near and I've not even picked up a single textbook is eradicated. Sitting in the air-conditioned atmosphere, I look around at all the students doing long essays and know that what I'm doing now is of such little importance that it's barely worth thinking about. It's a luxury that's short lived. GCSEs are just this laboured spring board up to the next level and, as long as I pass, there is no point in bending myself out of shape to fit into the structure of exams that are so formulaic that you just have to hit the criteria and you're fine. 

I'm jealous of the uni kids, but that might just be that they can just roll out of bed and bum around in the library. When I'm there, I feel part of this clique of failures. No one at the library seems on top of stuff, I think there are numerous deadlines pretty soon, so everyone hunched over at the desks are cutting it close... and I associate with this culture of being a slacker. I like the library because it appeals to me that you're always ignorant no matter how old you are and that it's just the desire to be less ignorant that keeps us in education. 

I think I'm going to go to University. Spending time with the foolish ones who live intravenously off of caffeine  and go in pajamas to the library (not kidding) makes me feel less of a failure when I compare myself to my classmates who have revision timetables. Revision timetables???

Someone once said that you must never let your schooling get in the way of your education and my only goal in life is to be the aimless patron saint of that adage. 

No comments:

Post a Comment