04/09/2013

Advice from HP Lovecraft

Recently, I've been telling myself that I'm trying to write like a real person. Not like a droning sycophant lurking behind too many thick novels, but one of those conversationalists that can transfer their thoughts to any medium they choose. 

But 'writing like a real person' is bullshit. What have I been writing as in the past? Why do I always reduce the past versions of me to something awful that I'm desperate to cleave myself from? It's far too cliched to keep casting myself off as a mask. And too insidious to over analyse and over intellectualize myself. It's odd.

H.P. Lovecraft would agree with the real person idiocy - advocating my emergence from trying to dilute my writing with colloquial cessation. 

"One superlatively important effect of wide reading is the enlargement of vocabulary which always accompanies it. The average student is gravely impeded by the narrow range of words from which he must choose, and he soon discovers that in long compositions he cannot avoid monotony. In reading, the novice should note the varied mode of expression practiced by good authors, and should keep in his mind for future use the many appropriate synonymes he encounters. Never should an unfamiliar word be passed over without elucidation; for with a little conscientious research we may each day add to our conquests in the realm of philology, and become more and more ready for graceful independent expression."

So I'm preparing myself for graceful independent expression. Graceful independent expression.
Here's hoping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment